Wednesday 23 May 2007




A couple of years ago i learnt how to do chair caning from a DIY pack from Badgers sett http://http//www.evolvingsolutions.co.uk/badgers01.htm and really enjoyed it. Its surprisingly simple once you get going. Last month I was given a lovely but neglected old chair needing some TLC and a new cane seat - Perfect!!!







So, I contected my Badger friend again and here's what happened.
First I took off all the canvas strapping that had been nailed to the seat by the previous owner.



I then had to work out how to arrange the vertical lines of

the cane - there are different numbers of holes on the


front and back and also the sides.


I found this very tricky as i'm not very good at maths and


all the lines had to be parallel

Anyhow i worked it out with a little help from Jan and started the first of the six steps in the pattern.






I wont bore you with all the steps - basically its across twice in vertical and horizontal directions then diagonal in each direction weaving as you go.


And here's the finished product!! i'm very careful when i sit down - not sure yet whether to trust my work yet.


1 comment:

Ashley Bilodeau said...

OH. OH OH OH!!!!
I have one of those round 70's rocking chairs handed down to me by my mother. The seat part has broke and I've been dying to learn how to fix it!!!!!!!

Ahhh I'm so excited right now!